Peter’s career in IP started as an inventor when his research in optical communications led to several patents. Most recently, he led the global IP and licensing function at multinational IT company, HP Inc.
In the intervening 35+ years, through hands on experience, Peter has built the skillsets and knowledge to provide clients with astute, commercially relevant IP advice across a wide range of situations, such as:
- Building, managing and pruning commercially effective patent portfolios,
- Enforcing patent portfolios, regionally or globally, to protect high-margin businesses or drive monetization,
- Resolving complex, contentious IP disputes without litigation,
- Negotiating a range of IP centric agreements, whether collaborative or contentious, including R&D, partnerships, suppliers, licensing in/out/cross,
- Performing value-add, rather than asset counting, IP due diligence for M&A and investment opportunities,
- Developing and articulating board level IP strategies for companies just starting out, or pivoting their current strategy and
- In house IP function consulting, both for effective legal and financial processes, and for building and leading diverse, multi-national teams.
Peter received a degree in Natural Sciences (Physics) from Cambridge University, and qualified as a UK and European Patent Attorney. He has lived and worked in Barcelona, Spain and Palo Alto, California and is now based in the UK.