Alex is a qualified solicitor-advocate and joined EIP from the intellectual property department of a large international law firm. He specialises in patent litigation and has experience of proceedings before the High Court, Court of Appeal, Copyright Tribunal, European Intellectual Property Office, as well as in ICC Arbitration.
Alex has advised on patent, trademark, copyright and passing off disputes in a wide range of industries, including cosmetics, chemicals, agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, telecommunications, and oil and gas. He has also advised in the fields of artificial intelligence and plant variety rights.
Alex has been seconded to clients on three different occasions: firstly to McDonald's Europe Limited, then to Google UK. More recently, Alex spent six months seconded to HSBC UK where he assisted with patent, trademark and commercial matters.
Alex has delivered training courses to prepare trainee patent attorneys for the Foundation Certificate (FC) Patent Examination Board (PEB) paper on English Law.
- Acting for IP Bridge in SEP proceedings against Huawei.
- Acting for PanOptis in SEP proceedings against Apple.
- Acting for Solas OLED as part of its multi-jurisdictional patent dispute with Samsung involving OLED display technology.
- Acting for Vestel Elektronik in an action seeking a FRAND declaration against Access Advance LLC.
- Acting for Conversant in infringement proceedings against Apple.
- Acting for ClearCorrect in its defence against allegations of infringement brought by Align Technologies.
- Acting for L’Oréal in an action seeking revocation of a patent for the use of maleic acid in hair treatment against LIQWD.
- Advising on matters of patent infringement and validity including providing freedom to operate opinions in relation to electronic and mechanical products.
- Acting in proceedings in the Copyright Tribunal and the Court of Appeal relating to online copyright infringement.
- Acting in trademark cancellation proceedings before the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
- Managing global IP enforcement and brand protection programmes (including advising on trademark infringement and passing off) for leading international electronics and fashion brands.
- 9 December 2022
IP Inclusive, Keeping the Conversation Going Beyond Black History Month (link)
- October 2022
EIP Updates, Celebrating Black History month 2022: Charles Drew (link)
- October 2022
EIP Updates, Celebrating Black History month 2022: Patricia Bath (link)
- October 2022
EIP Updates, Celebrating Black History month 2022: Vivien Thomas (link)
- July 2020
Lawyer Monthly, Becoming a Lawyer as a BAME Student: Advice and Tips (link)
New Electronics, Managing Your IPR (link)
European Intellectual Property Review, Creative Machines: Ownership of Copyright in Content Created by Artificial Intelligence Applications
JIPLP, Pfizer's 'Swiss form' patent claims invalid and not infringed (link)
Journal of Materials, Carbon Nanotube Arrays for Photovoltaic Applications
Education and qualifications
Higher Rights of Audience (Civil Proceedings), College of Law, London
2013 — 2014
Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property, Oxford University
2009 — 2010
LLB, including Legal Practice Course, College of Law, London
2008 — 2009
Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law
2003 — 2007
BSc Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 2020 — present
Managing Associate, EIP
- 2018 — 2020
Senior Associate, EIP
- 2012 — 2018
Associate, Baker McKenzie
- 2010 — 2012
Trainee Solicitor, Baker McKenzie
- Summer 2005 & — Summer 2006
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Georgia Tech. Research Institute
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Awards and recognition
- Ranked as "Rising Star", IP Stars 2022 (link)